Disaster Planning & Management
A process in which emergency responders access critical building information in the form of a model and information system to plan for and manage extreme events. The BIM provides critical information to the responders to improve the efficiency of the response and minimize safety risks. The real time building information from a building automation system (BAS), along with the static building information, such as floor plans and equipment schematics, can be valuable information in the model. These systems can integrate via a wireless connection and emergency responders can link to an overall system. The BIM coupled with the BAS can display location information regarding emergencies, possible routes to the area, and any other harmful locations within the building.
- • Provide police, fire, public safety officials, and first responders access to critical building information in real-time
- • Improve the effectiveness of emergency response
- • Minimize risks to responders
- • Design review software to view Record Model and components
- • Building Automation System (BAS) linked to model data
- • Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) linked to model data
Team Competencies Required
- • Ability to manipulate, navigate, and review BIM model for facility updates
- • Ability to understand dynamic building information through BAS
- • Ability to make appropriate decisions during an emergency
References for Additional Information
- • Building Information for Emergency Responders. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 11th World Multi-Conference (WMSCI 2007). Proceedings. Volume 3. Jointly with the Information Systems Analysis and Synthesis: ISAS 2007, 13th International Conference. July 8-11, 2007, Orlando, FL, Callaos, N.; Lesso, W.; Zinn, C. D.; Yang, H., Editor(s ) (s), 1-6 pp, 2007. Treado, S. J.; Vinh, A.; Holmberg, D. G.; Galler, M.
Sample Process Map(s)
[Link to Template Process Map - Under Development]
Potential Output Information
Source: BIM Project Execution Planning Guide, Ver. 2.2 with minor revisions.